We already published the list of best 3DS games of all time, now it’s time to discover the best 3DS action games of all time.
With amazing titles like the Super Smash Bros., Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, and Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, the 3DS surely have a great collection of action games.
If you’re a fan of both 3DS and action games, I know that you want to know the best 3DS action games of all time.
Most of you will know (or even still playing) some of the games mentioned in this list.
#50. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
#49. Heroes of Ruin
#48. Liberation Maiden
#47. Fractured Soul
#45. Sonic Generations
#44. Hey! Pikmin
#43. River City: Tokyo Rumble
#40. Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
#39. LBX: Little Battlers eXperience
#38. Hyrule Warriors Legends
#37. Mighty Switch Force! 2
#36. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
#35. Naruto Powerful Shippuden
#34. Skylanders Swap Force
#33. Yumi’s Odd Odyssey
#32. Marvel Pinball 3D
#31. Nano Assault
#28. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure
#27. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
#26. Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World
#25. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo
#24. New Super Mario Bros. 2
#23. Fluidity: Spin Cycle
#22. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
#21. ZEN Pinball 3D
#20. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
#19. Mighty Switch Force!
#18. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
#17. Azure Striker Gunvolt
#16. Gunman Clive 2
#14. Star Fox 64 3D
#13. Mutant Mudds
#12. Dead or Alive: Dimensions
#11. Gunman Clive
#10. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
FIND YOUR FLOW AND TAKE ON THE GREATEST HITS FROM RHYTHM HEAVEN!
Test your rhythm by chopping wood, sticking speeding viruses with forks and playing badminton while flying an airplane, all in time to catchy tunes in this deceptively challenging rhythm game.
The accessible controls and catchy music, combined with the new visual feedback system, make this a great entry in the Rhythm Heaven series.
Can you match the beat and reach Rhythm Heaven?
- Features updated rhythm games from the Game Boy Advance, Wii and Nintendo DS Rhythm Heaven games.
- A combo of new rhythm games, fan-favorites, and U.S. debuts make this the ultimate Rhythm Heaven game Rhythm Heaven Megamix includes more than 70 rhythm games, the most in the series.
- Some Rhythm Heaven rhythm games found only in Japan make their North American debut with new music.
- Soundtrack created with help from legendary Japanese music producer, Tsunku.
- Encounter others with the StreetPass feature for a chance to match their punching robot’s skills in a 1-on-1 battle.
- Play with up to four players simultaneously and take on special multiplayer rhythm games to earn Flow Balls (additional systems and games required for multiplayer mode; sold separately).
- Purchase additional rhythm games by spending Flow Balls.
#9. Cave Story 3D
Having received tremendous acclaim in its previous releases on PC and WiiWare, Cave Story, an indie side scrolling 2D action game, now makes its way into an all new dimension with Cave Story 3D for Nintendo 3DS.
At once both a throwback to classic 2D action platformers and also the potential future of the genre, Cave Story 3D blends tight controls, superb level design, and excellent story and presentation to deliver a memorable, addicting retro experience!
#8. SteamWorld Dig
The clock has stopped around the turn of the 19th century, and humankind has prematurely blown itself to bits.
The remaining scraps are huddling in caves beneath the surface, and steam-powered robots have taken over the Wild West.
#7. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong’s Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas – and he understandably wants them back.
Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES original.
#6. Kirby: Planet Robobot
Harness the power of the Robobot Armor!
Harness the power of a mysterious mech to stop ruthless invaders from mechanizing Kirby’s home world.
Smash through tough obstacles, lift heavy objects with ease, and scan enemies to shape-shift into new Modes with powerful abilities in this supercharged action-platformer!
That’s rightKirby’s Robobot Armor can shape-shift into different modes by scanning enemies to copy their moveslike the new Jet Mode.
Not to mention, Kirby can copy abilities the old-fashioned way tooby inhaling them!
After saving the world, team up with three friends to defeat foes in Team Kirby Clash, an RPG-styled 4-player brawl where you choose from varied roles and level them up.
#5. Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse
Embark on a brand new adventure which teams Shantae with her arch nemesis, Risky Boots!
When a curse falls upon Sequin Land, Risky Boots and Shantae must join forces to battle unimaginable evil.
Shantae must give up her job as Scuttle Towns “Guardian Genie” and become a pirate if she hopes to get her magic back and save the day.
As a pirate, Shantae gains new weapons and tools to advance her quest and power through monsters!
- Flintlock Pistol (blast enemies and switches from afar).
- Pirate Hat (glide on the wind using this enormous headwear).
- Risky’s Boots (run at super speeds! Chain your attacks as you dash through enemies & over lava).
- Cannon (blast yourself into the air on a belch of black powder).
Core Gameplay Components:
- Whipping! Destroy monsters, topple bosses, and solve puzzles with your hair.
- Platforming! Run and jump through deviously designed levels.
- Exploring! Navigate a world of interconnected levels and Labyrinths.
- Belly Dancing! Dance with your Magic Lamp to suck up magic and items.
- Customizing! Earn new abilities, unlock stat-boosting artifacts, magic & costumes.
- Storytelling! Flirtatious characters and wonderfully off-beat humor.
#4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL expands on the original in every way with new gameplay modes, 221 songs, and over 60 playable characters.
Featuring music that spans the full breadth of the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise, players tap along to the memorable beats and harmonies as the adorable, stylized characters battle and quest through their worlds.
The music of over 20 titles is brought together in one package, fusing together the moving scores, cinematic visuals, and role-playing elements the series is known for.
- Includes 221 Songs & Over 60 Characters
- New Versus and Quest Medley Modes
- Music from Over 20 FINAL FANTASY titles
- Power Up Characters With CollectaCards
#3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is the first portable entry in the renowned series, in which game worlds collide.
Up to four players battle each other locally or online using some of Nintendos most well-known and iconic characters across beautifully designed stages inspired by classic portable Nintendo games.
Its a genuine, massive Super Smash Bros. experience thats available to play on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Smash and crash through Smash Run mode, a new mode exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version that gives up to four players five minutes to fight solo through a huge battlefield while taking down recognizable enemies from almost every major Nintendo franchise and multiple third-party partners. Defeated enemies leave behind power-ups to collect. Players who collect more power-ups have an advantage once time runs out and the battle with opponents begins.
- Compete with classic characters from the Super Smash Bros. series like Mario, Link, Samus and Pikachu, along with new challengers like Mega Man, Little Mac and newly announced Palutena, the Goddess of Light from the Kid Icarus games. For the first time players can even compete as their own Mii characters.
- Customize different aspects of your character when playing locally or online with friends in a variety of multiplayer modes.
- View most elements of the high-energy action at silky-smooth 60 frames per second and in eye-popping stereoscopic 3D.
- Fight against friends and family locally or online, or battle random challengers all over the world online in For Fun or For Glory modes.
#2. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
The ultimate version of Street Fighter makes its seamless transition to the Nintendo 3DS with Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition.
The console experience is now in the palm of your hand with rich new features that utilize the capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS to its fullest.
Packed with 35 playable characters, bonus stages and cinematic Ultra combos, Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition expands the action by allowing you to fight your friends around the world using Wi-Fi.
New to the franchise are the figurine mode, which utilizes the Street Pass feature to add a collectible meta-game, and the 3D over-the-shoulder camera option that takes fighting to new depths.
For those new to the franchise, a simple mode has been added allowing players to pull off challenging moves with a single touch of the screen.
#1. Super Mario 3D Land
Past Mario games have let the blue-suspendered hero roam around fully rendered 3D landscapes.
Now, for the first time, players can see true depth of their environment without the need for special glasses.
Super Mario is a 3D evolution of classic Mario platforming featuring new level designs and challenges.
Are your favorite games on the list? Leave a comment below!
If you think there are games that should OR shouldn’t be on this list, let us know by leaving a comment below.
Determining the best 3DS action game is no doubt a never ending topic (mostly because new games are still being released), but it’s worth the time!