The Nintendo Wii U (simply called Wii U) is the successor of the Wii, the innovative and distinctive gaming console.
Although the number of games released for the Wii U is still not big enough, you will find amazing titles, such as the Mario series, The Legend of Zelda series, and Rayman Legends.
If you have this fun console, I know that you want to know the best Wii U games of all time.
Most of you will recognize some of the games mentioned on this list.
And in this post, you will get:
- A highly curated and filtered list on the current best Wii U games
- Developer, publisher, and release date information
- Genre of the games
- Links where you can buy the games online
If you want to get more specific, here are the best Wii U games by genres:
See also: Best Switch Games of All Time
So here you go.
Disclosure: We earn some money from affiliate links, thank you.
#49. Hyrule Warriors
#48. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
#47. Nintendo Land
#46. The Wonderful 101
#45. Yoshi’s Woolly World
#44. Resident Evil: Revelations
#43. Toki Tori 2
#42. Pushmo World
#41. LEGO City Undercover
#40. Affordable Space Adventures
#38. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
#36. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
#35. Adventures of Pip
#34. FAST Racing NEO
#33. Little Inferno
#32. Stick it to the Man!
#30. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
#28. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
#27. Assassin’s Creed III
#26. Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
#25. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
#24. Xenoblade Chronicles X
#23. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
#22. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
#21. New Super Mario Bros. U
#20. Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition
#19. Darksiders II
#18. SteamWorld Dig
#17. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
#16. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
#15. Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
#14. Trine 2: Director’s Cut
#13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
#12. Pikmin 3
#11. Skylanders SuperChargers
#10. Bit.Trip Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
CommanderVideo’s reality is un-fused! Runner2 is a rhythm-music, auto-running platformer.
Players will run through fantastic environments, using brand new moves, to amazing new soundtracks as they run, jump, slide, kick, and soar toward the goal of tracking down the Nefarious Timbletot who has un-fused CommanderVideo’s reality.
Runner2 features 5 exciting worlds, 125 tantalizing levels and 5 death defying BOSS battles!
Play as 8 different characters and find secret areas to unlock new and zany costumes!
#9. Mario Kart 8
For the first time in HD, Nintendo’s Mario Kart franchise comes to the Wii U console, introducing new racing circuit designs and antigravity karts that will have players driving upside down.
Players will also enjoy a variety of series-favorite features, including the return of 12-player online competitive play, hang-gliders, underwater racing and motorbikes.
#8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut
In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you play Adam Jensen, a security specialist, handpicked to oversee the defense of one of America’s most experimental biotechnology firms.
But when a black ops team breaks in and kills the scientists you were hired to protect, everything you thought you knew about your job changes.
At a time when scientific advancements are routinely turning athletes, soldiers and spies into super-enhanced beings, someone is working very hard to ensure mankind’s evolution follows a particular path.
You need to discover why – because the decisions you take and the choices you make will be the only things that can determine mankind’s future.
#7. Super Mario Maker
The ultimate evolution of Super Mario Bros. is here!
The Mario experience of your dreams has arrived and is bursting with creativity… including yours!
Play a near-limitless number of intensely creative Super Mario levels from players around the world.
Its easy enough to create your own levels with the Wii U GamePad controller that it may feel like you’re simply sketching out your ideas on paper, but you can now bring enemies and objects into a playable course in ways you could only dream of before.
What was impossible in traditional Mario games is now impossibly fun, so let your imagination run wild!
- Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
- Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
- Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines.
- Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
- Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
#6. Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic.
It’s a hot mashup of new and old!
You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest.
Shovel Knight has come to this land with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and quest for his lost beloved.
He wields a Shovel Blade: a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages.
Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!
But, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights.
These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress, and will pursue their mission at any cost.
If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, humor and levity, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you!
#5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker makes its glorious return on the Wii U console with gorgeous HD graphics and enhanced game features.
In this timeless classic with a unique and colorful “toon-shaded” art style, players guide Link as he sets out on the massive Great Sea to find his kidnapped sister.
Players will sail the seas in search of lost islands, fight fearsome enemies, take on mighty bosses and seek out the legendary Triforce.
#4. Bayonetta 2
In this climatic sequel to the critically acclaimed Bayonetta action game, players will be on the edge of their seats from start to finish.
Brimming with epic, gorgeous cut scenes and battles that are more exhilarating than ever, this game never lets up on the action.
Fight on top of a jet as it soars through a downtown city.
Duke it out against a giant angel, who bears a whip for an arm, on top of a speeding train.
And take to the skies in a fight against a demonic monster while ascending to the top of a skyscraper.
#3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
WINNER: Best Fighting Game –E3 2014 Game Critics Awards
Mario! Link! Samus! Pikachu!
All of your favorite Nintendo characters are back, along with plenty of new faces, in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the next entry in the beloved Super Smash Bros. series.
Up to four players can battle each other locally or online across beautifully designed stages inspired by classic Nintendo home console games.
With a variety of control options and amiibo compatibility, the timeless Super Smash Bros. battles come alive.
- Compete with classic players from the Super Smash Bros. series, along with new challengers like Mega Man, Little Mac or newly announced Palutena, the Goddess of Light from the Kid Icarus games.
- For the first time, players can even compete as their own Mii characters.
- Use a variety of control methods during the high-energy and action-filled battles, including Nintendo GameCube controllers the longtime controller of choice for hard-core Super Smash Bros. players.
- Customize move sets when playing locally or online with friends.
- Connect with amiibo for added fun.
- Experience the beauty of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in stunning HD, a first for the series.
- Fight against friends and family locally or online, or battle random challengers from all over the world online in For Fun or For Glory modes.
#2. Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Fun Work together with your friends or compete for the crown in the first multiplayer 3D Mario game for the Wii U console.
In the Super Mario 3D World game, players can choose to play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad.
- Each character has unique abilities and play styles. For example, Princess Peach glides over gaps, while Luigi has his trademark extra-high jump.
- The new cat transformation allows players to run on all fours, pounce on enemies, attack in midair, or use their claws to scamper up walls and goal poles.
- Explore colorful 3D environments filled with obstacles and contraptions like transparent pipes and vertical conveyor belts, which add new puzzle elements.
- Use the Wii U GamePad Controller’s touch screen to search for hidden blocks and freeze enemies in place.
#1. Rayman Legends
Developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, Rayman Legends is the follow-up to last year’s highly-acclaimed Rayman Origins.
Rayman Legends takes full advantage of the Wii U controller to bring players innovative multiplayer interactions that go beyond those found in traditional platform games.
Players can use the Wii U controller’s touch screen to take out enemies or clear paths and use the gyroscope technology to manipulate and rotate platforms on the TV screen.
The Wii U controller also allows players to continue the adventure of Rayman and his friends on the controller’s screen even while the television is off.
Are Your Favorite Games On The List? Leave A Comment Below!
If you think there are games that should OR shouldn’t be on this list, let us know by leaving a comment below.
Deciding which Wii U game is the best is no doubt a never ending topic (mostly because new games are still being released), but it’s fun to do!