We already published the list of best Wii U games of all time, now it’s time to discover the best Wii U action games of all time.
With amazing titles like Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Smash Bros., the Wii U surely have a great collection of action games.
If you’re a fan of both Wii U and action games, I know that you want to know the best Wii U action games of all time.
And in this post, you will get:
- A highly curated and filtered list on the current best Wii U action games
- Developer, publisher, and release date information
- Specific genre of the games
See also: Best Wii U Games of All Time
So here you go.
#25. Yoshi’s Woolly World
#24. Affordable Space Adventures
#22. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
#20. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
#19. Adventures of Pip
#18. Stick it to the Man!
#16. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
#14. Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
#13. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
#12. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
#11. New Super Mario Bros. U
#10. SteamWorld Dig
The clock has stopped around the turn of the 19th century, and humankind has prematurely blown itself to bits.
The remaining scraps are huddling in caves beneath the surface, and steam-powered robots have taken over the Wild West.
#9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
The most anticipated game of the year and the most ambitious Call of Duty game ever, Call of Duty: Black Ops II is coming to Wii U.
Launching this November 18th, Call of Duty: Black Ops II delivers the most groundbreaking and viscerally immersive Call of duty experience yet.
Rooted in near-future fiction, the title propels players into a visual landscape in an epic single player campaign highlighted by branching storylines and non-linear missions; a re-imagined multiplayer that introduces players to some of the most cutting-edge weaponry and equipment that 2025 will have to offer; and punctuated with an all-new Zombies experience running in the multiplayer engine.
#8. Trine 2: Director’s Cut
Trine 2: Directors Cut takes you on an adventure through magical lands in this sidescrolling game of platforming, action and puzzles.
The game features physics-based puzzles using fire, water, gravity and magic; wicked goblins to fight against; and wondrous fairy-tale lands as backdrop to the adventure.
Take on the role of one of the Three Heroes the Wizard, the Thief and the Knight who all have their own personalities and skills.
Play on your own or transfer the experience to multiplayer up to three players can embark on a co-operative multiplayer journey in online or local couch mode.
#7. Skylanders SuperChargers
Skylanders SuperChargers features a brand-new class of heroes, called SuperChargers who are distinct with fresh moves, powerful attacks and all-new weapons.
These SuperChargers also have special in-game abilities that help Portal Masters fight Kaos.
Twenty new SuperChargers character toys and 20 new vehicle toys will be available.
#6. Bit.Trip Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
CommanderVideo’s reality is un-fused! Runner2 is a rhythm-music, auto-running platformer.
Players will run through fantastic environments, using brand new moves, to amazing new soundtracks as they run, jump, slide, kick, and soar toward the goal of tracking down the Nefarious Timbletot who has un-fused CommanderVideo’s reality.
Runner2 features 5 exciting worlds, 125 tantalizing levels and 5 death defying BOSS battles!
Play as 8 different characters and find secret areas to unlock new and zany costumes!
#5. Super Mario Maker
The ultimate evolution of Super Mario Bros. is here!
The Mario experience of your dreams has arrived and is bursting with creativity… including yours!
Play a near-limitless number of intensely creative Super Mario levels from players around the world.
Its easy enough to create your own levels with the Wii U GamePad controller that it may feel like you’re simply sketching out your ideas on paper, but you can now bring enemies and objects into a playable course in ways you could only dream of before.
What was impossible in traditional Mario games is now impossibly fun, so let your imagination run wild!
- Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
- Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
- Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines.
- Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
- Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
#4. Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic.
It’s a hot mashup of new and old!
You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest.
Shovel Knight has come to this land with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and quest for his lost beloved.
He wields a Shovel Blade: a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages.
Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!
But, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights.
These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress, and will pursue their mission at any cost.
If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, humor and levity, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you!
#3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
WINNER: Best Fighting Game –E3 2014 Game Critics Awards
Mario! Link! Samus! Pikachu!
All of your favorite Nintendo characters are back, along with plenty of new faces, in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the next entry in the beloved Super Smash Bros. series.
Up to four players can battle each other locally or online across beautifully designed stages inspired by classic Nintendo home console games.
With a variety of control options and amiibo compatibility, the timeless Super Smash Bros. battles come alive.
- Compete with classic players from the Super Smash Bros. series, along with new challengers like Mega Man, Little Mac or newly announced Palutena, the Goddess of Light from the Kid Icarus games.
- For the first time, players can even compete as their own Mii characters.
- Use a variety of control methods during the high-energy and action-filled battles, including Nintendo GameCube controllers the longtime controller of choice for hard-core Super Smash Bros. players.
- Customize move sets when playing locally or online with friends.
- Connect with amiibo for added fun.
- Experience the beauty of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in stunning HD, a first for the series.
- Fight against friends and family locally or online, or battle random challengers from all over the world online in For Fun or For Glory modes.
#2. Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Fun Work together with your friends or compete for the crown in the first multiplayer 3D Mario game for the Wii U console.
In the Super Mario 3D World game, players can choose to play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad.
- Each character has unique abilities and play styles. For example, Princess Peach glides over gaps, while Luigi has his trademark extra-high jump.
- The new cat transformation allows players to run on all fours, pounce on enemies, attack in midair, or use their claws to scamper up walls and goal poles.
- Explore colorful 3D environments filled with obstacles and contraptions like transparent pipes and vertical conveyor belts, which add new puzzle elements.
- Use the Wii U GamePad Controller’s touch screen to search for hidden blocks and freeze enemies in place.
#1. Rayman Legends
Developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, Rayman Legends is the follow-up to last year’s highly-acclaimed Rayman Origins.
Rayman Legends takes full advantage of the Wii U controller to bring players innovative multiplayer interactions that go beyond those found in traditional platform games.
Players can use the Wii U controller’s touch screen to take out enemies or clear paths and use the gyroscope technology to manipulate and rotate platforms on the TV screen.
The Wii U controller also allows players to continue the adventure of Rayman and his friends on the controller’s screen even while the television is off.
Are Your Favorite Games On The List? Leave A Comment Below!
If you think there are games that should OR shouldn’t be on this list, let us know by leaving a comment below.
Determining the best Wii U action game is no doubt a never ending topic (mostly because new games are still being released), but it’s worth the time!