Do you love playing highly competitive games? If you answer yes, then you know that purchasing a 144Hz is one of the options that you should consider.
Some even say that the moment that you have tried this type of monitor, you do not want to try other gaming monitors anymore.
You must know as many details as possible regarding 144Hz so that you can decide if this is worth your money or not.
Just imagine that you are playing your favorite shooter game. You should shoot the enemy immediately, but you are not sure how you are going to do that with your 60Hz monitor.
With this monitor, you will be shooting something that is not even there anymore. You need to make sure that you will hit your fast-moving target.
If you would not hit your goal, this will affect the scores that you will get.
One reason why people usually settle for monitors with a refresh rate of 60Hz is because of the price. Monitors that come with better features are generally priced higher.
If they want to play casual games, this will not be an issue as people can still play their favorite games with ease.
This can only become a problem when they want to play action games that will require a higher refresh rate.
Lagging can be quite a problem and will remove the fun in playing your favorite games. You can look for an affordable gaming monitor that will still offer all the features you need to play games properly.
Refresh Rates and Response Time Speed
What will be the point of having 144Hz refresh rates when the response time speed of your monitor is not fast enough?
This will only become problematic in the long run, as various features of your monitor may not be working well together.
With a higher refresh rate and response time speed, you can expect that the input lag can be significantly reduced.
This means that you will be more immersed in playing your favorite games because the game will not lag as much as compared to when you play it on a monitor that only has a refresh rate of 60Hz.
Take note that there are some games wherein you will not notice if you have a 60Hz refresh rate of 144Hz refresh rate.
You will see that when you increase your refresh rate, the game will be smoother than usual. Your choice of whether you should buy a monitor with 144Hz will still depend on your preference and the games that you love to play.
What About 240 Hz?
If you think that 144Hz is already the highest refresh rate that you can get right now, then you are mistaken.
Some hardcore gamers will choose 240Hz because the response time is going to be smoother. Most people do not notice the change from 144Hz to 240Hz, though.
If you are a professional gamer, it will be worth it. If you would rather play games to have fun, 144Hz can already be worth it even if you love playing games that would require a fast response time.
Other Things to Think About
It is not only the refresh rate of the monitor that you should think about when you are playing your favorite games.
You want to have the best performance in playing games, but you cannot base it on one feature alone.
- Think about the response time. What is the response time for? This is the ability of the pixels to change from one color to another. For example, if there would be some delays with the response time, you can already expect that you will experience some ghosting, motion blurs, and trailing that will not be fun at all.
- Consider getting TN panel displays if you want to improve your gaming further. The response time speed of this is going to be higher, especially when compared to the usual VA panels. If you feel that TN panel displays are going to be expensive, IPS display panels can also be a great alternative. This would be the middle ground of the two.
- The backlight of the monitor that you will pick will also make a huge difference. You want one that will come with the right backlight because this with the right refresh rates will surely get the type of gameplay that you want, especially if you are a casual gamer.
- Think about the VRR technology of the monitor too. VRR stands for Variable Refresh Rate. You can choose from G-Sync or FreeSync, depending on the one that will be more comfortable for you to use.
- You may need to have a different cable when you are using a 144Hz monitor as compared to when you are using a 60Hz monitor. You should have an HDMI 2.0 port to make this work properly. Another option is to have a display port of 1.4Hz, which can be used for monitors that will have a refresh rate of 120Hz.
Do remember that the moment that you go beyond 100Hz, the refresh rates will be noticed even by the most casual gamers. This is something that you should think about.
Will 144Hz Be Worth It?
This is something that you should ponder on. 144Hz will be worth it if you have the budget and if you love playing highly competitive games.
If you are sick and tired of your games lagging and causing some frame delays, then you can consider making the leap and purchasing a monitor that will be perfect for your gaming needs.
It is obvious from all the details that are mentioned that a 144Hz monitor will allow you to have a better gaming experience. If you are used to 60Hz, the 144Hz will be an upgrade that you cannot miss.
The prices of the different monitors will vary greatly. Some 144Hz monitors will all have different prices depending on the build quality, the materials used, backlight, and even the brand.
The more that you know, the easier it will be for you to pick the best one for your gaming needs.